Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[ISSUE] FPS issue since...

I spilled liquid on my keyboard. Story goes, I dumped a drink on my laptop the other night, lol (knocked it over onto it). Its an older HP Pavilion dv6. Think it has a Radeon HD 6520?! I suck with computer stuff, but I think that is it. Anyhow, its usually always been fine for running cs 1.6 (which is the only game I have/play...shocking I know).

Anyways, when I initially spilled it, I didn't think to flip the thing on its side as I seen people say since. Right away my A, Z, Q, etc keys on the left side stopped working. I turned it off and let it sit overnight by a register on the floor. Next morning I turned it on and it did a few weird things but started. That afternoon I turned it back on again after more drying and upon startup the screen was black and it was beeping repeatedly like morse code'ish almost lol.

At that point, I figured it was TOAST, so I went and bought another HP. I realize they arent super gaming machines, but this one has lasted me 4-5yrs+ basically problem free. One I bought was an 17-f004dx. So I get home, and try to turn this one on again see if I can at least get some stuff off it, and low and behold its seemingly back to normal...oddly.

Alas, to the problem. It seems like last 3 days in the 24/7 server, I get crazy ms jumps and also my fps keeps dropping like a rock over and over. Like, from 100 when im running around or dead....to 40-50 when I see anyone or stuff gets busy around me. The ms stuff has happened before, probably due to my crappy internet provider. But, could there be residual/damage to the GPU that could be causing this? I ask, because if this one is good to go...I am going to return that new one. This has been a pretty good comp...I'll keep my money if this one will be ok.

Lastly, I did check for newer drivers, doesn't appear there is anything newer for it.

Thanks
}
Thanks given by:

I don't know anything about the computer itself, but I would suggest typing "hud_saytext 0" in console. This will disable the text chat in the bottom left corner. This boosts my crappy laptop from about 30-35 to about 60 with Razer Game Booster. The whole thing about the laptop getting drink spilled on it, lesson learned? Hehehe.
[Image: d2JNN83.gif]
[Image: graphic.png]
}
Thanks given by: YZ2fittyF

Did you check, if GPU is even kicking in? Maybe your GPU is toasted by the recent actions and what you use is the inbuilt unit. I have seen some laptops have duel GPUs, like mine have a Gefore 670m, but in addition it also got a unit built on the mobo.

Inbuilt unit is usually very weak and if you are running the game on that, then FPS drops will happen for sure.
[Image: e1136783d43046c3dff262d2c156691ec094c65e...261cf0.gif]
}
Thanks given by: YZ2fittyF

You know you can always override your fps and get more fps.. I play with 200 fps.
}
Thanks given by:

(09-18-2014, 11:46 PM)H I G H Wrote: You know you can always override your fps and get more fps.. I play with 200 fps.

That has nothing to do with this. FPS override removes the upper limit cap from fps, which is 100 by default. If he can't even get 100 stable fps then removing the upper limit cap won't do much.
[Image: e1136783d43046c3dff262d2c156691ec094c65e...261cf0.gif]
}
Thanks given by:

(09-19-2014, 01:00 PM)$atanic $pirit Wrote:
(09-18-2014, 11:46 PM)H I G H Wrote: You know you can always override your fps and get more fps.. I play with 200 fps.

That has nothing to do with this. FPS override removes the upper limit cap from fps, which is 100 by default. If he can't even get 100 stable fps then removing the upper limit cap won't do much.

well It did help me though. I use to get 60fps max. well now I get 200 fps. I am sure you are mistaken brother.. try overriding and you will see the magic. btw fuck your upper limit cap what ever it is.. rofl Tongue
}
Thanks given by:

(09-18-2014, 09:19 PM)$atanic $pirit Wrote: Did you check, if GPU is even kicking in? Maybe your GPU is toasted by the recent actions and what you use is the inbuilt unit. I have seen some laptops have duel GPUs, like mine have a Gefore 670m, but in addition it also got a unit built on the mobo.

Inbuilt unit is usually very weak and if you are running the game on that, then FPS drops will happen for sure.

How would I go about that? Lol... I mean I don't notice a lot of issues outside of CS....far as everything else seems to be pretty normal.

Well, was your FPS max set @ 60 before you changed it to 200? Lol...cuz, then I could see why it wouldnt go over 60!
}
Thanks given by:

If any of you have the 3dmark benchmark stuff or used it...i downloaded the free basic version. I am sure i screwed up using the middle option "performance" i think it was called...but my results look like...

Add to compare
Graphics driver is not approved (no idea what this means by the way)
ScoreP684 with AMD Radeon HD 6520G(1x) and AMD A6-3400M

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score
}
Thanks given by: